Gradon was celebrating a birthday and wrote about the things he wanted to do and was anticipating in the coming year.
I put the idea in the back of my mind as my birthday was approaching. The past year has brought so many changes — moving from Maine, selling a house, no longer living with family, new job — and I know the year coming will bring more. The idea of looking ahead and making some goals really made me take a good look at my life now.
Well, today my day has arrived. And I am completely swiping this idea from Gradon. (Sorry, buddy. But imitation is the best form of flattery, right?)
So here’s my list, in no particular order, of things I want to see happen in the next 365 days:
- Give blood on a regular basis again
- Volunteer at least once a month
- Work out more (or at all)
- Visit new places — already have New Orleans and Florida on the list
- Meet more of my internet friends in real life
- Continue to build the relationships with people I first met on the internet — I’m looking at you, Rafat, Juli and Julia! — and the wonderful people who are still friends with me after all these years
- Send more handwritten notes
- Not eat at the same restaurant more than twice — there are too many good ones here to continue eating at the same places
- Try more new recipes — if you have any favorites, leave links in the comment section. Thanks!
- Get rid of some debt
- Save more
- Learn how to use my Mac better — been a PC girl all my life and love my Mac, but having a tough time with some of the transition
- Write more articles for work which make me proud
- Read more — as in books. I used to be a voracious reader, then life and technology got in the way. Need to get back to it.
- Try to get my dog to understand the mailman isn’t a bad person, or our neighbors, or their dogs. This will be a tough one.
- Find a bathroom cleaning fairy — ok, so that one isn’t likely going to happen, but it’s my birthday and my wishes.
- Be in front of change, not behind it
- Continue to expand my musical selections — thank you, Robyn!
- See more live music — French Horn Rebellion, Dispatch and NKOTBSB on the docket so far!
- Take and edit more video — I have so much fun doing this and I simply don’t do it enough.
- I hope to get some of the restitution owed to me from when my house was burglarized, though I’m not holding my breath on that one
- Visit more museums — like restaurants there are so many in this city!
- Become better acquainted with the city so that I can give better directions
- Learn other bus routes, not just the one that goes by our house
- Actually work on developing my business plan — sorry, that’s all you get on that one
- Explore more of my new state — especially during the summer!
- Watch Syracuse become national champions again
- Go to a Celtics game and a Patriots game
- Continue to surround myself with smart, innovative, fun people
- Visit my family on the west coast
- Donate more of the clothes that I never wear
- Love my husband and all of his quirks — yes, I already do this, but I promise to continue to do so
- Become a mom — no this is not an announcement, just a goal